Monday, August 13, 2007

We're not in Zhaojue anymore, Toto...

Yesterday morning, we left Zhaojue by bus to come to Xichang. Then we took the overnight train to arrive in Chengdu at 5:30 am today.

Our last week in Zhaojue was spent doing a variety of things. One of those things was helping out at the Sunshine Farm, a place run by MSI to grow many different things. These vegetables and animals are then sold throughout Zhaojue, or something like that. I don't have all the details. Many agricultural students learn how to farm here, I think. Or rather, there (we're in Chengdu now).

The team did everything from building and painting fences to picking vegetables. One really interesting part was cutting the grass and then bringing it to feed the pigs. Watching the pigs eat was interesting to me, mainly because of their eyes. While they were eating, they would sometimes look at you. A pig is a large animal, and they have large eyes. Plus, their eyes seem to have an intelligence that they know that you're looking at them, so they are in turn observing you to see what you are doing. It was a little unnerving. The farm will start breeding the pigs soon.

Something I ate during our last night in Zhaojue doesn't sit very well with me. But I think I'm nearing the end stages of my sickness. One of my team members gave me a lot of advice as to what to do. I'm going to now go out and find some Gatorade to drink with some of these Loparamide Hydrochloride Tablets (that's what it says on the back).

We'll back in Canada soon, Toto. Kind of strange to think about it. We're probably most worried about decompression now. Back in Canada, we'll be out of the greenhouse, and we have no idea how we'll react, being off the field and back into normal life. Please think about that for us.

No comments: